Sunday, October 14, 2012

Photo A Day October, Day 13: Landscape

So, I missed blogging yesterday due to some technical difficulties. I'm afraid my poor ole Macbook may be on its last legs. Alex brought it back to life, but we'll see how long it lasts. I think I know what I'm asking Santa Claus for this year.

Anyway, yesterday's Photo A Day prompt was "Landscape." It sounds easy enough, but I kind of struggled with what to do. I even wore this t-shirt for a little inspiration, but strangely enough, I couldn't find any snow-capped mountains in Southern Mississippi. I know there are landscapes everywhere, but somehow my mental image of a "landscape" is different from what I see around here. Maybe it's partly because of a recent conversation with my dear brother about how the sound of the Dobro makes our hearts ache for hills--if you haven't heard the new Mumford & Sons album, go listen now!--but when I think of "landscape," I picture layers of hills rolling into each other all the way into the distance. I think of layers. When the land is flat, there just aren't any layers. So here's what I came up with:


I actually took this from the car while traffic was a bit backed up in Biloxi. I like that it has some depth even though the land is flat. I miss hills, but if I ever move away from here, I'll be grieving the loss of these gnarly live oak trees, and the ocean view on the other side of the street.  God always has a way of using my viewfinder to remind me that His creation is beautiful everywhere.


This is my Father's world, 
and to my listening ears
all nature sings, and round me rings
the music of the spheres.
This is my Father's world: 
I rest me in the thought
of rocks and trees, or skies and seas;
His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, 
the birds their carols raise, 
the morning light, the lily white
declare their maker's praise. 
This is my Father's world: 
He shines in all that's fair;
in the rustling grass I hear Him pass;
He speaks to me everywhere.

-Maltbie D. Babcock

No comments: